SUBANG JAYA, April 4- The Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) has confirmed that there was excavation activity near the location of the gas pipeline explosion and fire in Putra Heights, two days before the incident.
Selangor Police Chief Datuk Hussein Omar Khan said investigations found that the excavation work was aimed at replacing a sewage pipe located about 30 metres from the centre of the explosion.
"The police have identified the developer, contractor and workers involved in the work, which used two machines to replace the existing sewage pipes.
"The excavation work was stopped on March 30," he said at a press conference on the initial report on the gas leak incident in Putra Heights, here, today.
He added that an excavator is feared to have sunk at the incident site, but so far, no bodies have been found.
Hussein said the police were still gathering information from witnesses and further investigations were underway.
So far, PDRM has recorded statements from 56 witnesses, consisting of victims, individuals at the scene, as well as the contractors and workers involved.
"We have also identified a witness who was at the scene when the explosion occurred, namely a security guard who was in front of the newly constructed building, about 30 metres from the centre of the explosion," he said.
He explained that the witness also suffered injuries in the incident.